SWIM is a poetry album, talented Titlope Sonuga released on 4th October. She had shared some remarkable teaser videos on Twitter before its release.
SWIM is a soul balm for you. It’s an ocean of healing truths poured out of love and journey through time. You can wade in it until you are soothed or drowned in yourself.
7 Healing Lines from SWIM
“Remember rock bottom is always a good place to start rebuilding.”
“The woman is busy
She is in conversations with god
Translating the blue print of creation”
“Baby, I cannot be your life jacket,
Your panic will sink us both.
But if you’re still enough to listen to me,
I’ll teach you how to swim.”
10 things somebody should have taught me:
1. Do not romanticize suffering. There’s nothing poetic about a love that breaks your spirit.
2. Know when to leave. Some bridges need to be burned. Use the light to find a better way.
3. Practice forgiveness. Start with yourself.4. Say no. Do not negotiate with terrorists. Do not bargain for anyone’s love.
5. Friendships end. Let go. Stay open.
6. Save emotional real estate for the ones that will stay. Be soft. Be a safe space for the ones that you love.
7. Create time for yourself. Create something that will outlive you.
8. Do things that move your spirit. Laugh. Cry. Pray.
9. Love yourself as urgently and as completely as you want to be loved
10. Becoming is hard work. Staying the same is even harder.
‘The woman is not your right of passage’
‘The woman is not your youthful mistake.’
“I haunt the house where we planted roses on the roof,turn our love letters into daggers, I disappear the children we did not have, the ribbon in their hair crumble to dust in my hand…I join the legion of broken heart women who tumble into the earth.”
The beautiful cover picture was photographed by Victor Adewale. I’m immensely proud of his work.
Stream it today on Apple Music today.
I’d love to know your thoughts and favourite lines or poems.
Thank you Titilope Sonuga!